If you are interested in applying to serve as an MBBA Board member or an MBBA Board Officer, please submit your application here and email your resume/bio to email@example.com by Friday, June 1st, 2018.
There are board of director vacancies generally and the following officer positions are available (please note, all officers are also members of the board of directors) - President-Elect, VP of Programming, VP of Finance, VP of Membership, Treasurer, General Counsel (non-voting board member) and Secretary. For more information about the officer positions, please see the descriptions below from the MBBA By-Laws:
PRESIDENT-ELECT. The President-Elect shall perform such duties as the President and the Board of Directors may assign, and except as otherwise provided, the duties of the President when the President is disabled from performing such duties or absent from meetings at which he/she would preside. The President-Elect shall succeed to the office of the President at the conclusion of the Annual Meeting following the meeting at which he/she is elected.
The President-Elect shall serve as the liaison between the President and the Chairs of the Standing Committees. The President-Elect shall have fiscal authority, including the authority to sign the Association’s checks, to the extent that such authority is delegated by the President.
The President-Elect shall serve as the liaison between the Association and its charitable arm, Friends of the MBBA.
VICE PRESIDENT - FINANCE. The Vice President for Finance shall be responsible for locating sources of money for the capital and organizational needs of the Association. The Vice President for Finance should coordinate his or her efforts with those fundraising committees such as the annual Gala, Continuing Legal Education and the Activities Committee's miscellaneous fundraising social activities. The Vice President for Finance and the Treasurer shall work together in the raising of funds and any disputes that may arise as to how these activities are to be coordinated are to be decided by means of the procedures set forth in Article VII, B. f. In the case of the death, absence, inability or refusal to act of the Treasurer, the Vice President for Finance shall perform the duties of the Treasurer. The Vice-President shall also serve as the liaison between the Association and its charitable arm, Friends of the MBBA.
VICE PRESIDENT - MEMBERSHIP. The Vice President for Membership shall be responsible for encouraging eligible members of the profession in becoming members of the Association; recommending programs and procedures for encouraging law students in becoming associate members of the Association; for developing programs and procedures whereby new members will be encouraged to participate fully in the activities of the Association; keeping record of, and certifying to the Secretary, those members who are in financial good standing and eligible to vote; and for developing programs and procedures for the benefit of the members, both professionally and personally.
VICE PRESIDENT – PROGRAMMING. The Vice President for Programming shall be responsible for organizing and executing the programming agenda of the President and coordinating other programming proposed by any of the sections and Board members as well as work with the other officers in the coordination of social and fund-raising activities.
SECRETARY. The Secretary shall be the official record keeper for the Association and specifically responsible for:
- directing the communication of the Association;
- maintaining the Association’s papers, correspondence, and reports of the various officers and committees of the Association;
- keeping a record and minutes of the proceedings of the Association and of such other matters as may be directed by the Association to be placed in its files;
- keeping the corporate seal;
- keeping an accurate roll of the members of the Association;
- notifying officers, members of the board of directors or members of committees of their election or appointment;
- keeping a record of the attendance for each and every meeting of the Board of Directors and of the Association, and, in coordination with the membership committee and the Treasurer, notifying members who have become delinquent in paying their dues and removing such members from the rolls if they do not cure the delinquency in the proper time; and
- preparing notices of all meetings after working with the President as to the Agenda, with general membership notices being communicated.
TREASURER. The Treasurer shall be responsible for the receipt, care, and disbursement of the Associations funds, and specifically:
- the overall financial condition of the Association;
- collecting the dues and other monies payable to the Association from whatsoever source, and, under the direction of the Board of Directors and the President, disbursing the funds of the Association;
- keeping regular accounts in books of the Association;
- request the President to appoint an Assistant Treasurer in the discharge of his or her duties, including, but not limited to having fiscal authority, including the authority to sign the Association’s checks, to the extent that such authority is delegated by the Treasurer;
- making payments only upon the authorization of the President for amounts up to $1000.00 and by the Board of Directors for amounts over $1000.00;
- making financial reports on the status of the Association at Board of Directors meetings and at such other times as the President should request as well as the annual report at the May meeting;
- working with the Vice President for Finance on the raising of funds; and,
- making the financial records available for the audit by the Board of Directors or a special committee created for such purpose.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in running for one of our vacant Officer positions, you must:
- Be a current MBBA member. You can renew your membership here.
- Fill out the nomination form. You can access the form here.
- Submit your resume/bio to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, June 1, 2018
Elections will be conducted at the MBBA Annual meeting on Tuesday, June 26th.