About this Event
Join us three days before early voting starts in New York for the 2020 presidential election for an evening with some of the state’s top election lawyers. Find out how the system works and if you think you already know the fundamentals, you’ll find out more.
Protecting democracy at the intersection of legislative directives, executive orders, and every day project management challenges requires brains, guts, and stamina. Meet some of the people on the front lines.
• Can I still donate $70,000 to a candidate for state-wide office? The New York State Public Campaign Finance Board - structure, status, and plans. Ekow Yankah, Commissioner, New York State Public Campaign Finance Board.
• Who really runs New York City elections? The New York City Board of Elections - authority, structure, services to candidates, services to voters. John W. Zaccone, Commissioner, NYC Board of Elections.
• Many languages, one democracy, how do we protect voters? Jorge L. Vasquez, Jr., Program Director, Power and Democracy Program, Advancement Project.
• Does democracy require perfect elections? Making voting by mail work in New York past, present, and future. Douglas A. Kellner, Co-Chair, NYS Board of Elections.
• Is it chaos or is it just federalism? Understanding mail-in ballot requirements in the battleground states. Lawrence Norden, Director, Election Reform Program, Brennan Center for Justice.
• Can I vote twice? Counting ballots legally and transparently in New York State. Sarah K. Steiner, Election Lawyer, Former Chair NYC Bar Election Law Committee
• How does litigation protect candidates, voters, and elections? The old days, the new days, and the future of the Supreme Court. Martin E. Connor, Election Lawyer, Former Minority Leader NYS Senate.
Moderator: Henry T. Berger, Election Lawyer, Trustee, City University of New York.
Register: Non-lawyers, register here on Eventbrite; Lawyers, register at the NYC Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association Election Law and Diversity Pipeline Initiatives Committees
- Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund - Volunteer for non-partisan election protection
- Caribbean Attorneys Network
- Centro Civico Cultural Dominicano
- Dominican Bar Association
- LatinoJustice PRLDEF - Volunteer for non-partisan election protection
- Macon B. Allen Black Bar Association
- Metropolitan Black Bar Association
- South Asian Bar Association of New York