Gala Honoree Categories
The MBBA Trailblazer Award is given to individuals whose great talents have been realized by the fruit of their work and leadership abilities has been recognized by their peers inside and outside their profession. The Trailblazer has made the necessary sacrifices and commitments to rise to an elite class in their profession. The Trailblazer provides exemplary leadership and service in their profession as well in the community at large.
Corporate Counsel Award
With this award, the MBBA spotlights an attorney who is recognized as a leader in the in-house bar. The award recipient serves as a role model both within the profession and the community. The attorney has demonstrated a commitment to the ongoing efforts to ensure a diverse bar in all respects.
Private Practitioner Award
The MBBA Private Practitioner Award recognizes an attorney who has demonstrated a superior ability to represent his or her clients zealously and effectively at the highest of levels. This practitioner has further demonstrated leadership in the bar or community at large and used prominence concomitant with the attorney’s success to improve the bar and a commitment to the ongoing efforts to ensure a diverse bar.
Jurist of the Year
The MBBA recognizes a jurist on an annual basis who has demonstrated a commitment to excellence on the bench, exceptional judicial competence, evidenced by decisional quality, significant extra-judicial contributions to the administration of justice, and active participation in public service to the community at-large
Public Servant of the Year
The MBBA recognizes an attorney who has a demonstrated commitment to public service and excellence during the course of their career. This practitioner has further demonstrated superior leadership qualities and has vigorously used these abilities to improve the rights of the members of the community at large.
- U.S. Attorney Eric Holder, the 82nd Attorney General of the United States
- Atiba Adams, Esq., Vice President, Assistant General Counsel, Pfizer
- Michele Coleman Mayes, Executive Vice President, General Counsel for Allstate Insurance Company
- Michelle C. Ifill, Vice President, Deputy General Counsel, Verizon Business
- Hon. Sylvia O. Hinds-Radix, NYS Administrative Judge for Civil Matters, 2nd Judicial Department
- Mylan Denerstein, Counsel to Governor Andrew Cuomo
- James T. Breedlove, Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary, Praxair, Inc.
- Carolyn A. Edgar, Vice President and Legal Counsel, The Estée Lauder Companies Inc.
- Peter C. Harvey, Partner, Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler, LLP
- Honorable Raymond J. Lohier, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Wayne S. McKenzie, General Counsel, New York City Department of Probation
- Michael K. Tucker, Executive Vice President and General Counsel, Avis Budget Group, Inc.
- Rhonda Joy McLean, Deputy General Counsel, Time Inc.
- Rossie E. Turman, III, Partner, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Hon. LaTia Martin, Justice, Supreme Court, Bronx County
- Seymour W. James, Jr., Attorney-in-Charge, Criminal Practice, The Legal Aid Society and Immediate Past President, New York State Bar Association